What Is The Purpose of NYLT and Why Should Youth Attend?
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with the leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in any other situations that require leadership of self or leadership of others.
The aims of NYLT are to give each scout participant a basic knowledge of various leadership skills while helping them relate these skills to their own troop/crew responsibilities; to give them the confidence and knowledge necessary to run their unit’s program; to provide an opportunity to share ideas and experiences with Scouts from other units; and of course, to have FUN.
This course is built around the BE-KNOW-DO of leadership: What a leader must BE. What a leader must KNOW. What a leader must DO.
What To Expect?
NYLT is youth-led and integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, participants will be engaged in a uniﬁed approach to leadership that will give them the skills and conﬁdence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, events, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best that Scouting has to offer.
- Finding Your Vision
- Setting Your Goals
- Solving Problems
- Developing Your Team
- Scouting EDGE
- Servant Leadership
- Leading Yourself
- Ethics and Values in Decision Making
- Diversity and Valuing People
- Resolving Conflict
- Embracing and Leading Change
Who Can Attend NYLT?
- Be currently registered in the Boy Scouts of America.
- Be at least 13 years old.
- Hold the rank of First Class or above if they are in the Scouts BSA program.
- Have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops/Crews.
- Be nominated by their unit leader.
- Have a BSA Medical Form with Parts A, B, and a copy of Part C that will be valid through the end of the course. (Scouts should not submit their original Part C, as it may be needed for summer camp and/or other events.)
Unit leaders may nominate more than one scout but must state in which order they are making the nominations as availability is limited to 48 participants and the order in which scouts are nominated will be considered when selecting the 48 participants.
Contact and Course Details:
NYLT Course Director
2023 Course dates: 7/30/23- 8/4/23
Course fees: $320
(Scholarships are available to assist with course expenses if needed)
Ingersoll Scout Reservation
33 Knox Rd, 650 East
London Mills, IL 61544